Whole 30

If you are here for a furniture or house post, then you will have to wait a couple of days, maybe weeks? Today we are talking food. Healthy food. 

My friend and partner in crime, Allison from Fab Rehab (you all know her right?) was doing the Whole30 in February and so I decided to join her on a whim. I read all about it and shopped the same day. I finished the 30 days the day before we were to leave on vacation. Perfect timing. I did not cheat once. Not even a crumb. I have done a 3 day juice cleanse and found it difficult, but this 30 day thing included chewing, so I felt like it would be a little better. 

If you haven’t heard of Whole30, you should take a look online and read all about it before you make any decisions for yourself. Don’t base your decisions on silly old me, but I will tell you my results and how I felt/feel!

In a nutshell, Whole30 is 30 days of eating only healthy foods. No grains (no bagels!) sugar (no  Nutella!) dairy (no cheese!), legumes (no peanuts!) and alcohol (no wine!). You can eat fruits and vegetables, eggs, meats that are organic and contain no extras (no lunch meats!). You are supposed to eat three meals a day, no snacking. Eat as much as you want at each meal. I don’t eat red meat or pork really, so I got creative with chicken and tuna and scallops! If you cheat you have to start over. And 28 days is not the same as 30 days. 

Let me tell you. Some days are easier than others. For me, 3:00 every day really sucked. Every day. It still does. It’s an emotional thing for me. The boys get home from school and Lincoln wakes up from his nap and I am a wreck. But, I dealt with it. Instead of eating, I read or worked on a project while the boys did their homework.

I won’t go into how I felt every single day, the Whole30 Website has a great synopsis of the daily things you may feel and it is pretty spot on. A couple things I discovered (non-scale victories) along my 30 days of torture, er, journey…

  1. I can eat eggs again. After having babies, eggs were not my friend, slowly along the 30 days I introduced eggs and discovered they don’t make me sick anymore. It was the strangest thing, it could have been a mental thing, but could have also been all the extra additives that I have been consuming that threw eggs for me. 
  2. I love kale chips. I found this out after the whole30 was over, but I’m still adding it to the list. 
  3. I slept all night long waking at 5:30 and not feeling tired.
  4. I don’t have to take 4 Advil in the morning just to get out of bed! This is the biggest thing that happened to me, in my opinion. For over 13 years I have suffered from severe back pain and going to doctor upon doctor having them tell me there really isn’t much they can do. Two weeks before I started this, I went to a doctor who told me I could have surgery to fix my vet nearly grown together degenerative disc or I can live with it until it fuses together at some point. I left there frustrated and angry. About two weeks into whole30 I woke up not in pain. So I didn’t take any meds. Then I did some research and found that gluten has been found to cause joint pain. Hello! I will say, it isn’t perfect and the pain isn’t totally gone all the time, but it isn’t debilitating any more. Goodbye gluten. Hello less pain.
  5. My running has improved so much!
  6. My skin! I’m not much for makeup in the first place, but I don’t even put on cover-up or foundation. 

Now, a couple of other things. Hubs noticed that my breath which was generally pretty pleasant became somewhat unpleasant. Which I can understand when you eat like a caveman. I just remember to brush more. Which my dentist should be happy about. For me alcohol was the easiest thing to give up, and grains. I could leave rice and bread at the store, those are just fillers for me. The hardest thing for me was not snacking. I realized that I was snacking all the time. And even if it was a spoonful of Nutella or a zone bar, those things add up quickly! 

In the 30 days, I lost over 11 pounds and 11 inches. Which is fantastic because I’ve been carrying that extra baby weight for over two years. In fact I was at my annual physical and my doctor said, you can eat half and double your exercise OR you can be happy where you are at, which, by the way, was fine, but not my happy place. So, bam.

Now, I knew I was going on vacay and wanted to keep things going, and I did, for the most part, but margaritas are so good! And cheese! Good cheese. I did find a couple of gluten free items, discovered kale chips, had some great Mexican food, and enjoyed myself without regret (well, maybe a couple regrets, just say no to gluten dear body.) One thing I really concentrated on was working out. I made sure that I got tons of exercise, which was pretty easy since we were in Arizona and it was beautiful the entire time. And I talked hubby into running with me several times!

Through the course of this, I found that on vacay I missed my Whole30 way of eating. It made me happy. And I felt lighter, less bloated and just plain happier. Even though some days I really wanted a spoonful of Nutella. 

I haven’t weighed myself since I’ve been on vacation. I will soon, I’m sure, since we’re back. I’m excited to keep going on this and continuing this way of life. With a couple of treats thrown in once in awhile!